Here’s a test, for free for you, that I once gave to my students on three of the Type I errors. I know, I know. I only talked about two of the errors, but the third error is the sentence fragment, and you should be able to figure it out.
Test Covering Three Type I Sentence Errors
Identify the following sentences using the coding provided.
A = fragment B = comma splice C = fused sentence D = correct sentence
- Five of the options will be correct sentences.
- The children played in the backyard, the swings and the sandbox amused them.
- The boat docked, all the passengers got off.
- The combination of diet, exercise, and rest which must be strictly followed to bring about healing.
- The architects have worked hard the lowest contractor bid will get the job.
- Languages are not easy for me I do better at math.
- The boy that you invited to the party.
- Jack listens to his i-pod all the time except when Laura hides it.
- Lisa left early but no one knew why.
- The cove is quite pretty, it is rocky at low tide.
- She loved science however she failed the test.
- The action during the first scene.
- Although we were hungry, we waited patiently.
- Bagels used to found only in the Orient.
- A wide meadow, a babbling brook, and bright sunshine.
- Carlos wanted to be an actor, jobs were hard to get.
- We rounded the bend, the castle came into view.
- Many cacti are odd-looking plants they have beautiful blooms.
- Emily Dickinson wrote most of her poems without leaving her home.
- Without saying a word, the messenger handed me the envelope.
- The trick amazed the crowd they had never seen anything like it.
If you want to check your answers, then email email@example.com. Place CSFSFRAG test in the subject line. Have fun!