Proofreading and Editing Services
While no one can guarantee to catch 100% of errors, Writers’ Ink has over 35 years of experience in catching mistakes in manuscripts. Our proofreading and editing services will not only find errors you may not have seen but also plot holes and character discrepancies.
Provide us with a copy of your MS*. Priced depending on the length, we will proofread and correct mistakes in spelling, usage, and most punctuation. (Since some punctuation is a matter of style or a reading assistance, we will not remove these marks of punctuation.)
Proofreading finds simple errors in spelling, capitalization, punctuation, usage, and simple grammar errors. We understand that dialogue may not be grammatically correct.
- Proofreading is only done for manuscripts that are considered complete.
- If, while proofreading, we discover content editing problems, we will notify you and re-negotiate.
- If you wish us to continue with Content Editing, that cost will be applied. Our task will convert to content editor as opposed to proofreader. Content errors will need to be revised prior to the completion of proofreading.
Content Editing looks for plot holes, character discrepancies, and illogical problems (a character on the East Coast who at 7 a.m. calls someone on the West Coast who is eating breakfast on their sunny patio. This is not possible. The West Coast is four hours behind the East Coast. That would be 3 a.m. their time. Writers Ink has seen this problem not picked up by other Content Editors.)
Developmental Editing: for poetry and Non-Fiction only. Even though we are helping you “develop” your writing, we do not ask for credit on the title page. You are the writer; we are looking for ways to improve the ideas you are communicating.
- In a poetry series, developmental editing will look for thematic arcs and suggest line structure possibilities. We will note change words although we may suggest such changes. We will consider the sequence of poems in a series. We have over 35 years of analyzing, explicating, and teaching poetry by the masters. We understand that poetry is a special art form.
- In Non-Fiction, logical sequence and explanation & elaboration on themes, topics, and subjects will be considered. We have over 40 years writing nonfiction as well as teaching the nonfiction form to students.
Cost of Proofreading
$250.00 for the first 100 pages (standard font, approximately 250-285 words per page, 1-inch margins all around)
$50.00 for each additional 50 pages
For a manuscript of more than 500 pages, please contact us with the completed length for a different price.
Cost of Content (Line) Editing
$300.00 for the first 100 pages
$75.00 for each additional 50 pages
Cost of Developmental Editing for Poetry
$300.00 for 100 pages
$100.00 for each additional 50 pages
*We do not work in the genres of horror, psychological thrillers, and erotica or soft porn.